Here’s an important press release from Live58.org. I received this back in January but had to put everything that wasn’t urgent on hold while I got my book done. I strongly believe in and love what Live58 is doing, and this is just as relevant now as it was in January:
58: GLOBAL IMPACT TOUR SEEKS TO END EXTREME POVERTY
Breakthrough online “tour” unites Christians to fast, pray, and give to support
12 effective poverty-fighting projects in 12 countries over 12 months
COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO – 1-20-12 – Today, 58: launched the 58: Global Impact Tour at http://www.live58.org/tour. Over the next 12 months, this innovative online “tour” will feature 12 countries, 12 issues, and 12 poverty-fighting projects.
58: is a global alliance of Christians, churches and world-class poverty-fighting organizations working together with one goal: end extreme poverty by 2035. The alliance takes its name from Isaiah 58’s mandate to care for the poor and oppressed.
This ambitious effort to end extreme poverty is driven not by blind hope, but by hard data. More than half the world’s population – 52% – lived on less than $1.25 per day in 1981. But by 2006, that number was cut in half to 26%. The 58: alliance believes that God has given the Church everything it needs to end extreme poverty in our lifetimes.
The Global Impact Tour invites Christians to live the “true fast” of Isaiah 58. In that chapter, the prophet Isaiah chastises God’s people for empty displays of religion and calls for a true fast: to remove the chains of injustice, to set the oppressed free, to feed the hungry, to shelter the homeless, and to clothe the naked.
Created to inspire and equip Christians to respond to Isaiah 58, the “tour” is an interactive online experience that brings Christians together to fast, pray, and give to fight poverty:
- Educating people about a different poverty issue and solution each month
- Encouraging people to pray for specific needs, issues, and countries
- Asking people make some kind of personal sacrifice (or “fast”) to help the poor
- Inviting people to donate to a featured poverty-fighting project each month from a 58: Alliance member that has a proven track record
“It’s clear from Scripture that God has a heart for the poor and calls us to help the hurting and oppressed,” said Steve Grey, Executive Director of 58:. “Imagine what could happen if every Christian in the U.S. were to fast, pray, and give to help the global poor. At even $10 or $20 per month, fasting a meal, or skipping a new purchase is a small sacrifice for us, but could mean changing a person’s life. That’s what it means to ‘live 58’.”
The 58: alliance includes 10 of the world’s leading poverty-fighting organizations * committed to the principles of Christian holism. They were selected because of their reputation for excellence in fighting poverty.
Dr. Scott Todd, Senior Advisor at Compassion International and one of the architects of 58:, is seeing the momentum: “The question now is not, ‘Can we end extreme poverty?’ The question is, ‘How fast?’ We are halfway there. Generosity and new engagement by Christians can propel us to the finish line.”
To join the 58: Global Impact Tour, go to www.live58.org/tour.
Here’s the footnote, listing the organizations that are part of the 58:Alliance:
- Christian Reformed World Relief Committee – focused on community development
- Compassion International – focused on child and leadership development
- ECHO – focused on sustainable agriculture
- Food for the Hungry – focused on food security
- HOPE International – focused on microenterprise development
- International Justice Mission – focused on justice and human rights
- Living Water International – focused on safe water access
- Micah Challenge – focused on government aid and policy
- Plant With Purpose – focused on environmental stewardship
- World Relief – focused on disaster relief